U.S. Citizen living abroad
San Diego CPA says that US Citizens working abroad have special tax advantages that reduce if not eliminate their US tax liability. Find out more in today's video with Debbie Haverly, CPA
U.S. Citizen Living Abroad: Do I have to File?
If you are a US Citizen working outside the US receiving foreign income, then you are required to complete a US Tax Return, and a tax return in that country as well.
What is FBAR? Do I have to File? Why?
An FBAR is a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts. If you have financial assets in a foreign country or a foreign account, you are required to file this "information only" return with the IRS by June 30th each year.
Non U.S. Residents owning property in U.S.
If you are a U.S. non-resident alien and you do not live in the US, but you own property in the US -- what can you do to pay less taxes and get more for your return?
Short Sale
Here are some tips on how to save you money on your taxes when you are in the process of a short sale. Watch the video to get Debbie's advice and contact her if you have any questions or need help.
Is a Foreclosure Taxable?
Each foreclosure is different, and the laws are different in each state, so there is no easy answer to this question. However, there is one important tip I want to give you today and that is that you want your home to be considered "your principal residence" under the tax code.
C. Corp Vs. S. Corp
What entity should you be? Listen to the following videos to get an idea of what it means to be a Corporation. Would your business benefit from being a corporation? If so, which one?
Start-Up Business Expeditures
Filing your taxes when starting a new business can be overwhelming. I'm Debbie Haverly, CPA and founder of Income Tax Assist in San Diego where we do an in-depth analysis of your unique situation and look for alternatives that will save you money
Filing 1099's
The IRS is cracking down on small businesses and individuals with rentals to send in 1099's. Watch this video to hear tips and guidance about Form 1099.
Self Employed: Losses
What can you do if you are self-employed and have accrued losses for the year? We show you how to get money back to help you and your business!
Decrease Taxes & Increase Operating Capital
What can Self-Employed people do to decrease taxes and increase operating capital? There are several things depending on your unique situation
Gifts to Children
If I give my children a monetary gift, do I have to pay taxes? Currently you can give each child, or any person for that matter, $14,000 each year tax free (13,000 in 2012). This amount does change, to look up the amount you want to search for "annual gift tax exclusion
Health Savings Account (HSA)
These tax deferred savings accounts provide a way to save for medical expenses, while at the same time provide a tax deduction
Qualified Dividends
Do you know what Qualified Dividends are, and how they receive special treatment for tax purposes?
I have not filed Taxes in a long time....
If you haven't filed your taxes in several years, you should file as soon as possible. The statute of limitations never runs out until you file your return.
Filing Taxes Early
Here are some important tips on filling your taxes early to save money on your taxes and make filing easier for you.
Record Keeping and Identity Theft
Documents substantiating your Federal return should be kept for 3 years and California should be kept for 4 years. With identity theft becoming one of the most organized and costly crimes of our time, it is vitally important to maintain the confidentiality of your personal and financial documents
Decrease Your Property Tax Bill
Debbie Haverly Explains the Benefits of looking into your home and property's current market value. Did you purchase property at the height of the real estate market?If so your property's market value may have fallen below its assessed value